Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Family Politics

So I just got back a couple days ago from the Long Island wedding I was in this month, and let me tell you, I have learned so much.

A little background on the subject matter at hand:

Weddings apparently are only times of joy the day of the actual wedding...or after they are over.

With all the family and extended family that is involved, weddings can be a lot of work, not to mention a lot of money, to put together. This latest experience might really be enough to convince me to elope. About four or five years ago, my mom told me she'd give me a good down-payment on a house to elope. It's tempting. Very tempting.

I had to think to myself, if it is this hard for a family with no divorce or step-anything's then how hard would it be coming from a background of two sets of parents? Just the thought of getting my mom and dad in the same room as each other stresses me out.* And as far as the in-laws? That is an entirely different set of needs and wants.

They say the wedding is for the bride, and the honeymoon for the groom. Mentiras! (Lies!) There should be say from both on both occasions. And there are rules! Here I thought all of our mommies raised us well, but apparently good breeding is not nationwide like your cellular plan. It's sad, also, that families where there might be relational and communication problems, can't forget their 2 decade feuds for the couple's day at hand; it's not called a joyous occasion, tongue-in-cheek...it really is supposed to be a blast! (Note to those thinking of a dry wedding: unless this is deeply engrained in your religion...shame on you. If nothing else, it helps the wedding party get through the damned thing without having a nervous breakdown with the bride.)

Right now, I'm hungry, but I promise next time I'll throw in some details on how to stay politically sound in a wedding...while having a good time.

But the rule of thumb to chant to yourself until then: COMPROMISE! It's not a huge deal to not get EVERYthing you want...This goes for MOMS AND DADS TOO!!! Make sure that you can truly be able to let go and just enjoy the ride...your last months of single-hood with your fam and friends, the day of, and the trip (or whatever) afterwards.

Have a good night, and those tips will be coming in soon.

Mel


*Note to readers: comments about my family are not made to bash any mentioned parties in anyway...merely to provide experience and understanding into my insights.

1 comment:

Erik said...

Empathetically giggling to myself. Waiting to hear what your political advice for surfing through unscathed/less scathed will be. :)

Why can't we all just get along?